There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Monday, February 15, 2010

Indifference

I've been reading Philip Yancey's "Reaching for the Invisible God." (If you know me, I am also in the middle of several other books.....) It's hard to read more than a couple of pages without stopping to think. The following quote made me stop:

"As I look back over the giants of faith, all had one thing in common: neither victory nor success, but passion....God's favorites responded with passion....Never did they wholly give up on God, and never did God give up on them. God can handle anger, blame, even willful disobedience. One thing, however, blocks relationship: indifference."

The last few days have been ones where I am fighting dullness--dullness of heart and mind. When I feel the dullness start to creep in, I start to fight against it. I hate it. I hate that any moment spent with God or in his Word would be anything less than light and life. I never want to be indifferent to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.