There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Something Has to Give

For years now, I have observed that everything I "should" do in a day is impossible. I'm not talking about major projects here, just the small "shoulds". It seems that something always has to give.

For example, if I have been faithfully flossing for a week straight, there are probably dirty dishes in my sink. If my sink is shiny, there's a good chance I have 3 unfolded loads of laundry in a corner somewhere. If my laundry is folded, my car has an inch of sediment inside of it. If my car is vacuumed, my house is not. If my house is vacuumed, I have probably missed a workout that week. If I haven't missed a workout in awhile, my kids have probably run out of fresh fruit and are no longer eating very healthy lunches. If my children are eating an amazing variety of fruits and vegetables, I have at least an inch of gray roots showing in my hair. If my roots are colored, I probably haven't taken my vitamins in 3 days. If I have been taking my vitamins, most likely I have not moisturized my face properly at night in awhile. See? This is the balancing act of my life. It's one OR the other, rarely BOTH.

I am always curious. If I cannot fit in a day all the "shoulds", have I made too many things "shoulds"? Are my expectations for myself too high if even the little things slip through? Am I wasting time somewhere or using time unwisely? For me, it's a daily question to God. I have to ask him how he wants me to use my time that day, every day. (NOTE: While it may seem that gray roots are not on the top list of "shoulds", you have not met my hairstylist. She is rather fierce about my gray and has informed me in no uncertain terms that I am not going gray until I am 50....)

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.