I was thinking some deep stuff today while I drove and drove and drove....I had my backseat driver with me for much of it. More on that soon.....
I was wondering when things will not seem so heavy. Maybe never. So many people are in pain. So many facing adversity. Heartbreak everywhere. I was challenged to realize that in adversity and suffering, we will all go one of two directions--toward God or away. There is no standing still in hard times. I also believe the same is true in times of ease and prosperity. It's either toward Him or away. There is no standing still. I think some recent times of adversity for me have left me drifting backwards. Hard to admit.
So, back to my backseat driver. Here is the basic script:
E: Mom, the speed limit is 55. Why aren't you going 55?
Mom: There is a truck in front of me going slower. (Truck turns off.)
E: Mom, the speed limit is 55. You better slow down.
Mom: It's OK, honey. We're on a big hill and sometimes I go a little over, but we're only going 57. I'll step on the brakes soon.
E: You need to slow down, Mom. (I slow down.) Mom, why are you going so slow? The speed limit is 55.
Mom: I am going 54.
A little while later....
E: Why is that big truck in our way?
Mom: It's not in our way. It's just a garbage truck out doing its job.
E: You are going to crash into it.
Mom: No, I'm not.
E: Yes, you are.
Mom: I don't have any plans to crash into the truck.
E: You need to be careful, Mom
For the record, I am not much of a speeder. I figure if I'm going to have a big wreck someday, I don't want it to be because I was speeding. That's something I can control. I have also never crashed into a garbage truck. E is quite the backseat driver. He has a perfect view of the speedometer. He questions routes and often reminds me not to crash into things or cars. Good reminder, I guess.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
hehe, he's lookin out for his mom! And by the way, I'm sure your encouragement cards turned out great!
ReplyDelete