Joseph had his last game of the basketball season today. It was fun. They won. OK, it was mostly fun. Except for the people yelling at me. Yup...me. I often either keep the scorebook or run the time clock/scoreboard. I got the time clock/scoreboard job today. One detail about this particular device--it's wireless. Pretty cool. Pretty high tech. No cords to trip people. Just pure technology....and some yelling.
The signal between the device and the big clock/scoreboard the crowd can see is between 1 and 5 seconds, depending on the speed of that particular signal. That means, when I stop or start the clock, the crowd can't tell right away. Same thing when I change the score. I just don't have thick enough skin for that job. I had a boy from the opposing team come up and actually get in my face about the time clock. Ummm, wow. Nice moment, there. The opposing team's coach spent lots of time shooting me dirty looks for my "poor" clock/scoreboard management. Our team won the game by 15 points. I'm pretty sure we didn't win entirely (or at all) based on my poor time clock/scoreboard management....The comments behind me were also super fun. The only people happy with me today were the refs. They know about the delay. They both thanked me after the game.
I don't think I could be a ref. I don't like it when people yell at me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Its amazing how classy people can be. I couldn't do that job either...I'd yell back and get kicked out.
ReplyDelete