There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

David's Path to the Throne

Today, I was listening to Joseph read to me out of I Samuel. He reads a section aloud and then we talk about it. I've been amazed how much I've learned this way over the last couple of years. There's something about hearing it from my son. It's fresh all over again. I don't have a Bible study curriculum for him. He reads and then we do the basic inductive questions--who, what, when, where, why, so what. That's it. Simple, but not. Since he reads through entire books, we don't get to skip the uncomfortable parts. (Seriously, the Bible is solely responsible for my son's need to have "the talk" with Dad.) We don't get to gloss over the parts where God tells his people to wipe out entire nations (including women and children) or where guys insist on marrying multiple wives and making giant, sordid messes. The day we got to cover Lot and his daughters....well, what a day. The Bible is a fairly gritty book. I don't know how it could be otherwise since it's about humanity, but it's definitely gritty.

Anyway, he read the part today where David is called into official service at Saul's court and I suddenly asked for the first time in my life, "Was that really necessary?" Couldn't God have stashed him away with his sheep until Saul was dead? David had a rough go of it for a long time. He was dodging spears, trying to stay one step ahead of assassination plots, and hanging out in the wilderness with a bunch of ruffians. There must have been an easier way.

I guess it caught my attention because I find myself wishing there was an easier way in quite a few things. An easier way to stay healthy that doesn't involve exercise or eating right. An easier way to parent that doesn't take so much out of me. An easier way to forgive that doesn't involve so much hard work. An easier way to strong, deep character than through perseverence. An easier way in general. Just easier.

Imagine the Bible without David's rocky path to the throne. Imagine how short the book of Psalms would be. Imagine what we would miss. Imagine what he would have missed in knowing God. Would he still be called a man after God's own heart if God had handed him the throne unopposed, without trials?

I wonder. Dare I imagine my own life and character without the trials I have encountered and am encountering? Would I trade this for the silver-platter Patti?

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.