There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Looking Skyward

Today I had an unusual opportunity. I got to lie on my back in my backyard and stare up at the sky. I just got to lie there. I was taking a breather from lots of sledding down our "sledding chute" and hitting some major moguls. Little snowflakes were falling on my face, clouds were moving fast overhead, it was silent. (This was prior to the snowblower-fest all of my neighbors decided to have awhile later.) I got to think. Just breathe. Be still.

This week brought all sorts of assorted drama, as it probably did for many of you. That seems to be the way it is. Joseph has lost half of his earthly possessions by simply leaving them places and not remembering them. (OK, not quite half....) Elijah is feeling very volcanic about everything these days. Church ministry has been fascinating this week. We have significant property damage at the church building. Groceries appeared to have tripled in price. (I think they triple between every grocery shopping trip. It's crazy.) Our on-again-off-again car is off again. I had no way to go to church. That's how I ended up lying there in the snow watching the snow fall.

I guess I just needed a moment to be alive, be still. To remember I am small and He is big. To remember that this past week, I might have cried or been troubled, but I also laughed myself silly a few times. These troubles are light and momentary compared to the riches of the glorious inheritance waiting for me. The gift--of cold air filling my lungs, snowflakes melting on my face, stillness, rest, reveling in play time with the boys so miraculously gifted to me--was handed to me for an amazing moment today.

The stillness has passed into piles of snow clothes, cooking lunch, chores......life. I couldn't see the mountains, or even the hills today, but I lifted my eyes up to the heavens and remembered my unchanging God and Father still reigns. He is where my help comes from.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.