There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Friday, February 18, 2011

Green Clean

I read a really good library book last week. It was called "Green Clean" and was a small book that explained common household chemicals and toxins, why we think we need to poison ourselves to keep our houses clean, and what alternatives we can use. I have been in this "green clean" world for awhile now, but I learned a lot. For instance, if a cleaning product makes your eyes and throat burn, don't use it. Hmmmm. Nothing like common sense.

I have kind of been working through the common sense thing for a few years. I think I had bought into the "the stronger it smells, the cleaner it is" theory. Not true. It mostly just means that I have internalized a chemical that is wreaking havoc on me along with perhaps killing some germs....not to mention a few brain cells. (I was really uncomfortable when the author was describing household chemicals that are actually neurotoxins, especially to children.) In the past few years, as allergies have run rampant in me, chemicals have started to bother me intensely. Windex makes me want to run away. Bleach makes my throat hurt and constrict. Pinesol makes me nauseated and dizzy. Same with fragrant laundry detergents. Shower cleaners....don't even get me started....death. The cleaning/pest control/laundry aisles at the store are horrible places for me. If I need something in them, I make it as quick a trip down the aisle as possible.

I have been learning the virtues of baking soda, washing soda, vinegar, borax, and essential oils. Granted, vinegar is sure a strong smell, but it dissipates quickly and doesn't make me dizzy or sick or send me running for my inhaler. I'm also learning that my whites aren't actually quite as white, whether it's shower grout or laundry--and I'm making peace with that.

The "Green Clean" book talks about real clean. Fresh clean. The value of fresh air in the house, houseplants, non-toxic cleaning products, de-cluttering....I liked it. I think the only part I didn't like was where she talked about how important it is to dust and wash walls for real clean. Dusting is a chore I do when it becomes obviously needed and washing walls....well....I really should. Blah. It's a good book. Even the dusting part. I recommend it.

1 comment:

  1. oh dear, washing walls...let's not talk about that. I dust...when company is coming. ;o)

    ReplyDelete

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.