Up until allergies became such a big deal in my life, I had never thought about communion as a potentially hazardous activity. I remember clearly a few short weeks after my wheat allergy was diagnosed, I munched up my cracker and tossed back my grape juice without thinking--well, I was thinking--just not about my allergies. A few minutes later, I had this horrible pressure in my chest and I started feeling sick. (There's actually some medical term for a thing that feels like you have a ball of vitamins stuck halfway to your stomach. If it really is a ball of vitamins, you don't need the medical term. You can just call it a ball of vitamins stuck somewhere above your stomach, and you might need the abdominal thrust soon--formerly known as the Heimlich Maneuver. The medical term is just for the sensation. I can't remember it exactly....globulus....globby....globular....something Latinish....) Anyway, I got that sensation and I was miserable. My mind clicked in and I thought, "Oh, I am allergic to wheat. The doctor was right."
So, I have entered the misunderstood world of People Who Demand a Different Kind of Communion Cracker. Yup. On communion Sunday, I sit down in church. Five minutes later, I remember it's communion Sunday and sprint out of the service to retrieve my special cracker shard from the bowl in the church's refrigerator. One week, I forgot completely. As the plate came toward me, I froze. I knew I couldn't have it, so I politely shook my head. Within 30 seconds, I just knew that the usher who had seen me refuse the cracker was probably speculating on what besetting sin was keeping me from celebrating communion. When he came by with the grape juice, I'm sure I confused him more by taking it. He probably figured I had taken it so he wouldn't write a letter to the Board about it.
Afterward, I was laughing about it and told someone who is a celiac about how word will be out soon about my besetting sin that kept me from the first half of communion. He laughed quite heartily having been in the same situation a few times in the past. He told me his secret--take it, then stick it in your pocket.
All this to say, I do not take communion lightly--at all. I mostly cry during communion. I can't help it. Jesus died to save me. All my frailty and sin got laid on him. Not funny. I just think the allergy thing is kind of funny.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ha.. the fanny pack made it's debut trip! LOVE IT!
ReplyDelete