There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Some Gratitude

Joseph and I read a really cool passage in II Samuel today. It's David's prayer. It is just bursting with gratitude and worship and we both really liked it. Every night at bedtime, we all list what we're thankful for that day. For tonight, we're already planning how we're going to worship. Joseph thinks a David Crowder song would do nicely. I agree. We are both somewhat suspicious that David Crowder has borrowed a phrase or two right from King David.....

A few minutes after we were done reading, we saw some all-out gratitude right in front of us. Elijah discovered there were two pairs of sweats in a hand-me-down bag we received. Not one....but two. He tried them on and they fit. He was rapturous. Really. He was.

This boy loves his sweats. I have to talk him into wearing jeans at least one day a week, so that I can say he wore something besides sweats at least one day. I wasn't sure whether to be disappointed that he has more sweats or to just enjoy his complete delight. I think I'm taking the delight route. After all....I think sweats are pretty great myself.

1 comment:

  1. So Patti, I am now identifying with so many things you are writing about! I read that prayer in 2 Samuel last week and in the margin of my bible I wrote. "God, I really love this!" Verse 28 is one of my memory verses for the week.

    ReplyDelete

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.