There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Changes

In the last few days, I've been thinking on some changes.

Elijah started playing preschool soccer. That's a change. His first sport.

Joseph lost another tooth. More change.

The cardiologist decided 88/64 was too low for my blood pressure and I got to stop taking my blood pressure medicine. Now I'm not insanely dizzy. That's a change.

I have developed an intolerance to a second cholesterol medicine and will now have to work out a third option with my cardiac care people. Another change.

My house, while never spotless, is definitely more spotty than it used to be.

I sleep a lot. That's a change.

I have stepped back from most of my church ministry-related activites, after realizing a typical week for me was 20-30 hours of various church-related activities. I remain committed to prayer, gathering with other believers, sending notes and e-mails of encouragement, AWANA Cubbies, helping Brian with whatever he needs--most everything else has been temporarily suspended. That's a change.

I also made a permanent change. I resigned from my church office job where I was sort of a hybrid staff/volunteer finance person. I knew it was time. I knew it was the right thing to do. It was still hard. People I care about are having to pick up the slack I've left. I'm usually the one picking up the slack. To be on the other side is a change.

I keep reading my Bible. I keep looking up at my favorite sight--the sky. No change either place. I sure hope all this uncertainty, bouncing and tossing around, just bounces and tosses me closer to the Unchanging One.

1 comment:

  1. Patti, I see the Lord doing some amazing things in your heart and life. I love your posts and I pray that as you lean into Him you will relax in the strength of His embrace and sustaining. Hug all those boys for me! I so look forward to June!!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.