Lately, the boys have been changing. Alot. Elijah slept for 3 1/2 hours after preschool a couple of days ago. When he got up, I was sure he looked bigger. I'm kind of suspicious he grew during that odd, long nap. (For the record, he got up around 8:30pm and went back to bed soon after he ate dinner.)
Joseph looks different too. Taller. Older. He makes jokes now. The kid is funny. He walks with me at my pace, even faster. He works out at the rec center with me. He's reading a 500-page book. (He somehow skipped the whole short chapter book thing and went directly to a long book. I wasn't sure he would ever read just to enjoy himself. I guess I wasn't giving him long enough books....??)
Elijah is still a little boy, but not as much. He is still planning to be a mighty warrior when he grows up. He has clarified it for me. He will be a mighty warrior, but he is planning to take off his armor when he goes home to his wife and kids. He is in a major phase of doing the dishes. He rinses them better than I do and gets them all ready for the dishwasher--for fun. Weird.
I have to admit. I do wonder what my firstborn would have been like along the way. Would she have been funny? Serious? Messy? Tidy? Short? Artistic? (to make up for my lack...)
Considering the years I've been on this earth, I haven't been a mom for that long and I won't have kids this age for that long. It's been a gift. Certainly not my whole identity. There have been and will be other seasons. Just such a precious gift to have such a front-row seat in the lives of these boys.
So grateful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.