There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mother's Day

I have written a record 6 posts about Mother's Day. This is the 7th. The first 6 are not going to see the light of day. I am struggling to appropriately say what is on my mind, so much of it will not be said at all.

Mother's Day is so complicated for me. That sounds funny, considering I have 2 living children, another I get to meet in heaven, a mom who has loved me deeply all of my life and is very much alive, and a husband who thinks what I do is super important. It really doesn't sound like Mother's Day could be complicated. It is.

For me, I think it got super complicated the day I sat in church when the moms were asked to stand up and be honored. I had to remain seated, face flushed, eyes welling with tears. I've never forgotten.

There are so many stories about why Mother's Day is hard. That is mine. The short version. The long version is really long. If Mother's Day is hard for you, I bet your story is pretty long too. I will be praying for you tomorrow.

The mother you had or have or never had, the mother you are or aren't, the children who honor you or don't honor you, the husband who values you or doesn't value you or isn't even there--those aren't who define you. Don't let them. HE defines you.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post, Patti! So neat you have the same view on Mother's Day as mine. It is a bitter sweet holiday.

    ReplyDelete

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.