We are officially into Day 3 of Brian's work sabbatical. The first two days didn't feel quite as "sabbatically" as we had thought they might, but this sabbatical isn't meant for us to lie around drooling and eating cheetos and staring at the wall. This is time we are hoping God will use to refresh and renew all of us and uncloud our priorities. Part of it is pre-planned vacation and isn't sabbatical time, but a few weeks of it is time away from the "usual" to have time for the "unusual". For us, that means dinner together each night, study time for Brian, writing time for both of us, prayer, rest, breakfasts together, more walks together.
Today, I had the uncontrollable urge to clean out--not clean, clean out. When it happens, I can't deny it. The house is still dusty and the bathrooms still need to be cleaned, but my closets are looking better. I was attacking those corners of closets where terrifying things multiply in the darkness. I am proud to announce a trunkful of stuff headed for the Goodwill and a sizeable pile of trash waiting for trash pick-up tomorrow. I don't know how clutter happens, but it is an ongoing battle. I am always amazed that I can find more things to give away or throw away!
Cleaning out closets doesn't seem like particularly "sabbatically" behavior, but maybe it is. I suspect that the overwhelming need to deal with some physical clutter means I have some mental and emotional clutter. I know I do.
At random: I smiled this morning when Joseph was making french toast and went across the kitchen to a shelf on my baker's rack for a kleenex to wipe up a small spill, rather than use a washcloth or paper towel right next to him! He said it was just a small spill and a kleenex worked fine. :) Funny choice. I can't complain. The boy cooks and cleans up his messes and his little brother always asks for seconds when Joseph makes french toast.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.