There, peeping above the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for awhile. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up and out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing; there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach. J.R.R. Tolkien

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

So....I Guess We'll Remain Cold

I have one more hope of a place that still has hand warmers, but I am out of time for today. The regular stores do not have them. Apparently, it is not considered an item that will sell in our fine state in the months of April and May. A store employee explained that he tried to order them because so many people were asking and was told by headquarters that he couldn't order them.

I pondered baked potatoes, but am not sure that would actually work. I also think they would be rather cumbersome for Joseph to manage while he's on the bench. :) It might also make his whole team hungry just smelling the potatoes since practice and games are often during dinnertime.

We'll manage. We'll be cold, but we'll manage. Soon, we'll need sunscreen and umbrellas and cold water....

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe they don't have them! I googled a "recipe" for hand warmers...

    Take 25 grams of iron filings or powder and you mix it with one gram of sodium chloride (table salt) in a ziplock bag then shake it to mix it. then you add a tablespoon of charcoal or sawdust and shake to mix again. seal this in an airtight jar or else the iron will oxidize.

    to activate, put the amount you want in a ziplock bag and ad about a teaspoon of water. squeeze and shake the mixture until it gets hot. ours got extremely hot and if you get the amounts of chemicals perfectly right, it'll last a few hours.

    ReplyDelete

It's always fun to get comments, but if you post anonymously, I don't know who you are! It would be super if you would leave your name.